指导 at 西南 is a dynamic relationship in which you collaborate with faculty and staff advisors to foster your academic potential by making connections among classes, experiential learning, and co-curricular programming.
As you work with your advisor to navigate your academic career at 西南, the following goals will help guide the process.
- Develop an intentional collaborative relationship with your advisor.
- Understand the structure and purpose of 西南’s curriculum.
- Create a narrative that connects your classes, experiential learning, and co-curricular programming.
- Identify and explain your personal and professional short and long-term goals.
- Use institutional resources to meet your goals.
Use the following resources to design and support your advising experience. 联系 our office anytime you have questions or additional needs.
An introduction to advising at 西南, planning tools, and frequently asked questions.
Best practices for advisors, research from the field, and helpful logistical information.
Student and Advisor Responsibilities
该 student-advisor relationship can make a significant contribution to your success at 西南. To make the most of the advising process, please review the responsibilities of both students and advisors below.
- Develop a strong working relationship with your advisor and make appointments when requested and necessary.
- Be respectful and inclusive in your communications and interactions with your advisor.
- Prepare for and be active in your advising meetings and ask questions when you have them.
- Reflect on your personal interests, skills, and goals and share them with your advisor.
- Learn and understand the Catalog and SU’s policies, procedures, deadlines, and requirements.
- Use the technological resources (WebAdvisor, etc) available to help you make informed decisions toward and plan your degree requirements.
- Seek out additional faculty and staff who can assist you with your academic and career planning when needed.
- Follow through on plans-of-action identified during advising meetings.
- Take responsibility for completing your academic plan.
- Develop a strong working relationship with your advisee and be available for appointments as needed
- Be respectful and inclusive in your communications and interactions with your advisee
- Inform your student about your advising style and expectations
- Assist students in exploring and defining their interests, skills, and goals
- Remain current with the Catalog and SU’s policies, procedures, deadlines, and requirements
- Maintain confidentiality regarding student information while following FERPA guidelines at all times
- Inform students of and provide appropriate referrals to campus resources that enhance their academic and/or personal experience at SU
- Discuss plans-of-action
- Help students to make decisions and take ownership of their choices